Sunday, April 28, 2013

Defining My Community: A Materialist Perspective

In order to fully understand the relationship between Mahayana Buddhism and my community, I must first define my community. So far, I have scratched the surface of defining my community through anecdotal examples of specific qualities such as busy or stressful lifestyles. I have painted only a few strokes in what is the canvas of my community. During my research project, I have been trying to complete this painting, and now I will share my progress.

I chose to analyze my community through a materialist perspective, which is a perspective concerned with the day to day lifestyles of the working class. In feudal times, a materialist analysis of history would detail the lives of serfs working under nobles, listing everything from the tools they used to the amount of time they slept each night. Instead of focusing entirely on the feudal lords, a materialist historian would argue that detailing the lives of the serfs, the majority of the people living at any given estate or plot of land, paints a truer picture of life at that time. Thus, I want to detail the lifestyles of my community members as accurately as possible, focusing directly on the individuals and how they live their lives on a day to day basis. Considering that Mahayana Buddhism in my community is a belief system implemented by individuals on a personal level, and that the effects and implementations of Buddhism are best seen in day-to-day life, I think that this is a very relevant perspective to use for my research project.

What "objects" or "matter"do Buddhists in my community own and value? How does their world feel and look? Do Scottsdalian Buddhists structure their lives to flow seamlessly between the working world and the spiritual one? This is the lens through which I have chosen to analyze my community. In my next posts, when I dive deeper into what truly constitutes the lives of Buddhists in Scottsdale and Phoenix in 2013, you will now know where I am coming from.

Namaste!



No comments:

Post a Comment